The EAST END NEIGHBORHOOD HOUSE was established in Cleveland in 1907(inc. 1911) by Hedwig and Anna Kosbab, daughters of Josip Kosbab, aHungarian immigrant. Located at 2749 Woodhill Rd., the settlement hasserved the BUCKEYE-WOODLAND-Woodhill community. Initially, the Kosbabsoffered sewing and cooking classes for neighbors, but soon created aformal organization to meet the needs of HUNGARIANS, ITALIANS, andother Southern European immigrants moving to the area. The first Boardof Trustees of the East End Neighborhood House included SAMUEL MATHER,ROLLIN WHITE, and ORIS P. VAN SWERINGEN. By Hedwig's death in 1922,the settlement had served nearly 70,000 people with classes, clubs,and recreational programs. During World War II, the settlementsponsored scrap drives and blood donations, as well as a controversialrelocation program for Japanese-Americans within its neighborhood in1944.
- 1922 - Death -